Monday, August 29, 2011

Art Journal Challenge 2 "The Cover"

*** Added to 08/19th post: photo of project*** for Wizard of Oz swap****

After looking for three hours for some alpha and #'s stencils' I had cut several years ago; I gave up on my idea of using the modeling paste with the stencils to decorate the front of my art journal and instead pulled out my sticky backed craft foam, Big Kick and Sizzlit dies "Best Friends Forever" alpha & #'s set and cut my title page using the dies. First I took the cover loose from the binding coil and applied one coat of gesso to it to give it some tooth. After it was thoroughly dry (several hours later)I applied my title, etc. in a pleasing arrangement to the cover. Thought it could use a little more than just the letters and number die cuts, so die cuts of the same foam cut wih Sizzix Hello Kitty Sizzlit line: Cloud & Sun and the sunflower from Butterfly & Flowers Set #2. When it was to my satisfaction, I then applied two more coats of gesso to it, covering over the die cuts and allowing each coat to dry before adding another. Here it is with just die cuts and three total coats of gesso:
Using a combination of artist acrylic paints and my watercolor crayons, I colored and washed a soft combination of colors over the cover. When these dried I added touches of watercolors from a glimmery set of watercolor pans to hightlight the sun and the flowers.
Let it dry and it is finished.


Thanks for stopping by to see my work. It is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to add any comments, they are always read and cherished. Constructive criticism is always sought. Thanks so much for using your valuable time to view my "art".

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful cover! It's great that even though your original plan fell through you were able to creatively deal with it and come up with such a great alternative.

    ReplyDelete